Office Building Vandalized
Office building in Happy Valley annihilated by vandals.
Commercial property in Happy Valley was vandalized. As you can see from the picture this building was absolutely annihilated. File cabinets were shoved over, papers everywhere. There were feces and drug paraphernalia all over the place. Walls were vandalized and spray painted and written on.
SERVPRO of Milwaukie Happy Valley was called to assess the building for damages and organize the clean up efforts.
The clean up began quickly after the assessment and estimate for services and with in 7 days this project was completed. "Like it never even happened".
Property owner said "Even though this was traumatic, SERVPRO of Milwaukie Happy Valley took the stress off of me and helped me through the process. I will never call another company if I have a need like this again".
When disaster strikes
Disaster Preparedness in Clackamas Oregon
I am sure you have picked up emergency preparedness tips in school — but are you really ready for a disaster? Here are some emergency strategies for you to follow.
Lives can be turned upside down by natural disasters, from earthquakes and fires to hurricanes and tornadoes. Your best defense is emergency preparedness — having a plan and knowing the steps to take so that you and your family will be ready if disaster strikes.
Has your family put these emergency preparedness basics in place?
- Learn evacuation routes.Contact your local SERVPRO to schedule an ERP of your commercial building
- Have an Emergency Plan.Sit down and talk with your staff about the emergencies that are most likely to happen in your area. Determine how your staff will react in each situation.
- Assemble an emergency kit.In a tote or other easy-to-carry bag, store copies of important documents, cash and spare keys, a list of important phone numbers, a three-day supply of water and non-perishable food, first aid kit, a flashlight, matches, blankets, and changes of clothing.
- Keep your gas tank filled.Since you will likely need your automobile to evacuate your area, it is a good rule of thumb to always refill your gas tank when it dips below half.
4th of July Safety
Happy 4th of July
The start of summer is the perfect time to gather with family and friends for good food and fun times. This year, celebrate the adoption of the Declaration of Independence in a safe way. Our 4th of July safety tips cover a few key summer safety topics to keep you and your family safe this holiday.
Sparkler & Fireworks Safety
More than 50,000 fires are caused by fireworks every year. Take the proper precautions when operating fireworks.
- Never disassemble or try to make your own fireworks.
- Don’t point sparklers, or fireworks at yourself or others, especially while they’re being lit.
- Only light fireworks on the ground and in areas that are dry and fire resistant.
- Don’t attempt to light multiple devices at the same time.
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks or sparklers.
- Always keep a portable fire extinguisher close by. Also keep a water hose or buckets of water nearby to put out fires.
Be Safe grilling this year
July is one of the peak months for grilling fires. Enjoy grilling your favorite meals this summer while also keeping your family safe.
- Check gas grill hoses for cracks, holes and leaks.
- Keep children away from grills. Gas leaks, blocked tubes, and propane tanks can be a cause of grill fires and explosions.
- Never grill indoors, in the garage, in any enclosed area or on a surface that might catch fire.
- Keep the grill at least two feet away from decks, siding, branches and any outdoor equipment that can catch fire quickly.
If you follow these simple 4th of July safety tips, your entire family will be sure to have a safe and memorable holiday. Happy 4th of July from SERVPRO of Milwaukie Happy Valley.
Washing Machine Safety Tips
Water damage by washing machine.
Washing Machines Study fact A burst water supply line caused half of all water damage incidents involving washing machines. On average, these incidents caused more than $6,000 in damage per incident. Loss prevention and maintenance tips
1. Turn supply valves off when not in use.
2. Consider installing a lever-type valve that is easy to operate between uses.
3. Do not operate the washing machine while the home is unoccupied.
4. Leave a 3 to 4 inch gap between the back of the washing machine and the wall to avoid kinking the hose near the valve connection.
5. Inspect the water supply line hoses every 6 months.
6. Ensure that the connection to the valve is secure, but avoid over-tightening.
7. Hand tighten first. Then tighten an additional 2/3 of a turn using pliers.
8. Check the hoses for cracks, kinks or blisters, which are most commonly found near the hose connection.
9. Washing machine manufacturers recommend replacing washing machine hoses every 5 years.
10. Consider reinforced braided stainless steel hoses.
Mold prevention tips
Take care of your mold to keep you family safe
MOLD PREVENTION TIPS
- Keep humidity levels as low as you can—no higher than 50%–all day long. An air conditioner or dehumidifier will help you keep the level low. Bear in mind that humidity levels change over the course of a day with changes in the moisture in the air and the air temperature, so you will need to check the humidity levels more than once a day.
- Be sure your home has enough ventilation. Use exhaust fans which vent outside your home in the kitchen and bathroom. Make sure your clothes dryer vents outside your home.
- Fix any leaks in your home’s roof, walls, or plumbing so mold does not have moisture to grow.
- Clean up and dry out your home thoroughly and quickly (within 24–48 hours) after flooding.
- Add mold inhibitors to paints before painting.
- Clean bathrooms with mold-killing products.
- Remove or replace carpets and upholstery that have been soaked and cannot be dried promptly. Consider not using carpet in rooms or areas like bathrooms or basements that may have a lot of moisture.
Signs of Mold
Call SERVPRO of Milwaukie Happy Valley to get your mold tested.
Visible mold growth might seem like an obvious sign of mold. However many people don't notice small amounts of mold growth or they think it's just soot or dirt. Sometimes people simply ignore visible mold in their house.
If you can see mold growth, even if it's only small, you should take action immediately. Small mold patches can spread and the fact that there is any mold shows that the conditions in your home are right for mold to grow. If you have concerns SERVPRO of Milwaukie Happy Valley is here to help.
Sometimes you might not realize there is mold in your house, especially if it is unusual looking mold. Some mold growth looks white and thread-like. Other mold appears as clusters of small black spots. Mold can be black, gray-brown, gray-green or white in color. Mold growing behind wallpaper made of vinyl can even appear orange, pink or purple.
Icy roads and power lines down.
- Ice from freezing rain accumulates on branches, power lines and buildings. If you must go outside when a significant amount of ice has accumulated, pay attention to branches or wires that could break due to the weight of the ice and fall on you. Ice sheets could also do the same.
- Never touch power lines. A hanging power line could be charged (live) and you would run the risk of electrocution. Remember also that ice, branches or power lines can continue to break and fall for several hours after the end of the precipitation.
- When freezing rain is forecast, avoid driving. Even a small amount of freezing rain can make roads extremely slippery. Wait several hours after freezing rain ends so that road maintenance crews have enough time to spread sand or salt on icy roads.
- Rapid onsets of freezing rain combined with the risks of blizzards increase the chances for extreme hypothermia. If you live on a farm, move livestock promptly to shelter where feed is available. Forage is often temporarily inaccessible during and immediately after ice storms. Animal reactions to ice storms are similar to that of blizzards.
Thunder and Lighting Safety Tips
Thunder and lighting strike close to home
- Always take shelter during a lightning storm.
- There is no safe place outside during a thunderstorm. Safe shelter can be found either in an enclosed building or a hard-topped vehicle.
- If you can see lightning or hear thunder, you are in danger of being hit. Seek shelter immediately.
- Wait 30 minutes after the last lightning strike in a severe storm before venturing outside again.
- Do not ride bicycles, motorcycles, tractors, or golf carts. These will not protect you from a lightning strike.
- During thunderstorms, you should also stay away from items that conduct electricity, such as corded telephones, appliances, sinks, bathtubs, radiators and metal pipes.
Once the storm has passed and if you have damage, call SERVPRO of Milwaukie Happy Valley, we are always here to help!
Commercial Water Loss
Water Loss in Commercial Building
Water damage can happen to anyone at anytime and you never are truly prepared, regardless of business or home. Water can damage your personal items or business items which can cost tons of money. Here at SERVPRO we have the machines and products to properly clean your belongings, restoring them to preloss condition. If belongings are not able to be restored we will let you know to talk to your insurance adjuster for reimbursement. If you are not going through an insurance company, it may be harder to find coverage for reimbursement of belongings and chances are you will have to pay out of pocket. On the bright side, we always do the most cost effective way to save you money. Nothing is done without your approval.