Cook with Oil Safety Tips
66% of home cooking fires start with the ignition of food or other cooking items. SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley wants to remind you of these safety tips when cooking with oil.
- Add your food carefully to avoid oil splattering.
- Always stay in the kitchen when frying food in oil on the stove top.
- Smoke is a sign that your oil is too hot. If this happens, turn off the burner and remove your pan from the stove top.
- Always cook with a lid beside your pan. If a fire does occur, you can slide the lid over the pan and turn off the burner. Do not remove the cover and let the pan sit for a while.
- Never use water or a fire extinguisher on an oil fire.
- If the fire does not go out or you do not feel comfortable putting the lid on the pan, evacuate everyone in your home and call 911.
If you do have a fire, don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley at 503-652-3997. We are here 24/7, 365 days a year to help you when disaster strikes. We will make it “Like it never even happened.”