Generator Safety Tips
According to Portland General Electric, a portable generator is the most common choice for homes. A portable generator can be useful when it comes to storm related power outages. Here are some generator safety tips from Portland General Electric that will help keep you and your family safe!
- Always operate your portable generator outside.
- Use only an outdoor-rated, ground extension cord to avoid getting shocked.
- Don’t try to power your house by using a doctored extension cord. It can cause damage to the wiring in your home and cause a fire.
- If using a gas-powered generator, use extreme cause as they can get very hot.
- Always keep children and pets away from generators.
- Turn of all equipment powered by the generator being shutting the generator down.
- Don’t overload your generator by following the wattage guidelines.