Recent Water Damage Posts
Water Damage Timeline
Do you know the timeline for water damage looks like?
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property and can saturate everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods start to spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
Dishwasher Water Damage
We receive a lot of calls about water damage in kitchens. Upon arrival to the job, our technicians often find that the cause of the water loss is due to the dishwasher. There are three main causes of a dishwasher leak:
The water supply line that comes standard to most dishwasher is a copper tube. Copper tends to decay over time which leads to leaks or a total detachment. It is important to check your supply line twice a year to make sure that it is in good shape. It is also recommended that you replace the copper supply line with a stainless-steel tube for more durability.
Water Inlet Valve
There is a valve under your dishwasher that can slowly leak over time. Taking off the bottom, front plate of your dishwasher and checking for leaks twice a year is a great way to monitor if a leak is occurring.
A gasket acts as a seal. If you have water pooling in front of your dishwasher after using it, this may be a sign of a weak door gasket.
If you notice any sort of dishwasher leak, call SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley immediately at 503-652-3997. We will answer the phone 24/7, 365 days a year to lead your water damage restoration and make it “Like it never even happened.”
Kitchen Water Damage
Water damage in the kitchen it a common occurrence due to the fact that there are several water lines. Here are the three most common causes of kitchen water losses:
- Ice Maker
- Under the Sink
A water loss occurring in the kitchen often does not stay contained to the kitchen. It can spread to adjacent rooms, downstairs, or into your crawlspace. That is why is important to know where you have water lines at in your kitchen and to check on them periodically.
At the first sign of water damage, do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley. We are available for your cleanup and restoration needs, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. We will make it “Like it never even happened.”
Frozen Pipe Facts
With low temperatures in the Milwaukie and Happy Valley area this week, your friends at SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy want to share these facts about frozen pipes!
- 37% of all frozen pipe failures occur in a basement.
- Frozen pipes are one of the biggest risks of property damage when the temperature drops.
- A frozen pipe that bursts can lead to more than $5,000 in water damage to your property.
- 32 degrees is the point of freezing. It is important to keep your home above this temperature.
- Pipe insulation can cost as little at 50 cents per linear foot. This can be crucial in preventing your pipes from freezing.
If you do experience a burst pipe, do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley at 503-652-3997. We are available 24/7, 365 days a year to help you when disaster strikes. We will make it “Like it never even happened.”
Preventing your Pipes from Freezing
If you are going to be away from your home for an extended time during the winter, use these tips from your locally owned and operated SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley to prevent your pipes from freezing:
- Don’t lower your heat too much. A lower temperature can help keep your heating costs down, but if a cold snap stakes and pipes that normally would be safe, can freeze and burst
- The best safeguard is to drain your pipes. With no water in the pipes, there is nothing there that can freeze. You can do that by shutting off your water at your main shut off site and turning on every water fixture in your house until the water stops running. When returning home, simply turn your water back on and turn on every water fixture until water starts flowing again.
If you do experience a burst pipe while away from home, do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley at 503-652-3997. We are available 24/7, 365 days a year to help you when disaster strikes. We will make it “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley at 503-652-3997
When SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley responds to a water loss, there are three main components to the drying process: inspection, emergency services, and monitoring.
SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley will inspect the area to the extent of the damage and to evaluate how far the water has migrated. SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley will walk you through the process and a plan will of action will be established.
The goal of our emergency services is to prevent further damage to your property and contents, remove unrestorable materials, and create conditions for drying the structure and contents effectively. This typically involves placing air movers and dehumidifiers.
To help ensure that the structure is drying to industry standards, SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley will monitor the drying process daily. Monitoring occurs until the impacted structure and contents have dried.
If you do experience water damage, do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley at 503-652-3997. We are available 24/7, 365 days a year to help you when disaster strikes. We will make it “Like it never even happened.”
Washing Machine Safety Tips
Water damage by washing machine.
Washing Machines Study fact A burst water supply line caused half of all water damage incidents involving washing machines. On average, these incidents caused more than $6,000 in damage per incident. Loss prevention and maintenance tips
1. Turn supply valves off when not in use.
2. Consider installing a lever-type valve that is easy to operate between uses.
3. Do not operate the washing machine while the home is unoccupied.
4. Leave a 3 to 4 inch gap between the back of the washing machine and the wall to avoid kinking the hose near the valve connection.
5. Inspect the water supply line hoses every 6 months.
6. Ensure that the connection to the valve is secure, but avoid over-tightening.
7. Hand tighten first. Then tighten an additional 2/3 of a turn using pliers.
8. Check the hoses for cracks, kinks or blisters, which are most commonly found near the hose connection.
9. Washing machine manufacturers recommend replacing washing machine hoses every 5 years.
10. Consider reinforced braided stainless steel hoses.
Standing Water In Your Home
ground water in basement
Standing water is a pool of water of any size that does not flow. It can occur after excessive rains, severe storms, from hurricanes or other natural events but can also be caused by human induced methods such as an old bucket or abandoned swimming pool. It can cause an immense amount of damage to your home and your belongings. Unfortunately, living in Oregon we seem to have a great amount of ground water that likes to pop up whenever it feels like (usually when it rains heavy) and most insurance company do not cover ground water so you end up paying out of pocket to repair your home AND replace the personal items that were contaminated by the water. Call SERVPRO we can help!
Categories of water
Important facts about water damage
Categories of water to look out for:
Category 1 – Water originates from a sanitary source and does not pose substantial risk from dermal, ingestion, or inhalation exposure. (clear water)
Category 2 – Water contains significant contamination and has the potential to cause discomfort or sickness if contacted or consumed by humans. (grey water)
Category 3 – Water is grossly contaminated and can contain pathogenic, toxigenic, or other harmful agents.(black water)
It is important to know what water category the water in your home is when the damage occurs to avoid any contact that could pose a harmful effect on your health.We treat your home like its our own. Call SERVPRO of Milwaukie/ Happy Valley at 503-652-3997 we can make it "Like it never even happened."
Who will you call when it rains indoors?
Leaky pipe on second level causes water damages on the main level
Living in Oregon we are use to the rain, but raining indoors? not so much. When water comes pouring though your ceiling or rushing out of your walls call SERVPRO of Milwaukie/ Happy Valley. Here is a photo of a pipe leak that seems small but if left untouched could result in water migrating to different areas of your home, mold growth as well as secondary damage. Our on call crew is trained to handle any situation that occurs while keeping you updated on the progress of your home to ensure you are completely comfortable with all work that is provided by SERVPRO. We are ALWAYS here to help, customer satisfaction is our #1 priority. Licensed, bonded and insured by many agencies throughout the city.
Leaky air vents?
Water leaking out of air vent
Not all water damages are big and chaotic, some are small and harmless like this one in the picture below. Here we have an air vent that has a small amount of water leaking out of it. Around the vent, the water has made the drywall wet, as long as there is no insulation it can be dried in place making the process short and sweet. Even though this is a pretty small damage we know it can be a big deal to home owners and/ or tenants and we would treat it as so. Our staff are trained in handling the situation calmly keeping you updated the whole way through to help put your mind at ease. Water damage can happen to anyone so don't feel singled out!
What a sprinkler system can do
Sprinkler system went off during a party
Although sprinkler systems can be intended to provide a great service they can unfortunately be accidentally tripped.
In this case a group of young children were rough housing in the apartment alone when one of them hit the sprinkler system on the ceiling. To their surprise a hurricane ensued and drenched the entire apartment.
Remember to NEVER hang anything on your sprinkler system no matter how cute and they can be set off with an aggressive bump. No rough housing indoors unless you bring your swim suit.
Water damage and Flooding can be a disastrous time consuming and life changing event, but here at SERVPRO our goal is to make it "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley is here for you 24/7 365 days a year.