Commercial Power Outage Preparation
A power outage to your commercial space can cause major disruptions to your business, whether it be a local outage or storm related. That is why it is important to have a plan that cuts down on the disruptions. Luckily, our local electric company, Portland General Electric has a few tips that can help!
- Have a plan in place that all employees are aware of and go over it often
- Plan a manual backup for work done on computers or cash registers
- Ensure any electronic door locks can be bypassed manually
- Have an outage kit for your office including the following items:
- Flashlights and battery powered or hand-crank radio
- Extra batteries
- Car chargers for cellphones, tablets, and/or computers
- Battery powered clocks
- Emergency phone numbers
Generator Safety Tips
According to Portland General Electric, a portable generator is the most common choice for homes. A portable generator can be useful when it comes to storm related power outages. Here are some generator safety tips from Portland General Electric that will help keep you and your family safe!
- Always operate your portable generator outside.
- Use only an outdoor-rated, ground extension cord to avoid getting shocked.
- Don’t try to power your house by using a doctored extension cord. It can cause damage to the wiring in your home and cause a fire.
- If using a gas-powered generator, use extreme cause as they can get very hot.
- Always keep children and pets away from generators.
- Turn of all equipment powered by the generator being shutting the generator down.
- Don’t overload your generator by following the wattage guidelines.
Storm Related Power Outage Tips
Being prepared for a storm is one of the smartest things you can do for yourself and family. Portland General Electric has put together three easy steps to prepare you for a storm, whether is be due to wind, rain, ice, or snow!
- Create an outage kit. You should gather things that your family needs to stay safe and comfortable if the power goes out, such as:
- Flashlights and batteries
- Car chargers for phones and computers
- Battery powered clock and radio
- Emergency phone numbers, including your power company
- First aid kit
- Can opener
- Bottled water
- Food that you can eat without needing to heat up or accessing the fridge
- Comfort items, such as game, blankets, and toys
- Extra blankets
- Create a storm checklist of all the things that you need to take care of before the emergency of a storm related power outage brings
- Review the storm safety tips/plan with your family
Hopefully these tips will help you and your family stay safe during a storm related power outage!
Microscopic mold spores exist almost everywhere making it impossible to remove all mold you’re your home or business. Consider the following mold facts and give SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley a call to handle your mold remediation!
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth.
SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley Wildfire Prevention Tips
I know that it is still the rainy season is still here in the Clackamas, Oregon area, but it is never too early to focus on how to prevent wildfires. SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley wants to provide you with a few tips on how you can help prevent wildfires.
- Never leave a fire unattended. To extinguish a fire, douse it with water and stir the ashes until it is cold.
- Do not discard cigarettes, matches, and smoking material from moving vehicles or on the ground. They need to be 100% extinguished before being thrown out.
- Follow your city/county ordinance regarding burning in your yard. If burning is allowed, never leave it unattended. Keep a shovel and water nearby just in case.
- Do not set fire works off near anything that is flammable.
SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley Commercial Services
When you have a fire, water damage, mold, or just need a general clean at your business, you will need to have work done quickly while minimizing interruptions to your daily operation. That is why you should call SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley. With our training and expertise, we can tackle all commercial spaces, including office buildings of all sizes, apartment complexes, restaurants, hotel and motels, retail stores, big box stores, schools and colleges, high-rise buildings, manufacturing and industrial spaces, daycare's, government buildings, and so much more!
If you have a fire, water damage, mold, or need a general cleaning don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley at 503-52-3997. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to help you with your commercial space. We will make it “Like it never even happened.”
Commercial Water Loss Cause and How to Prevent It From Happening to You.
Within the last five months, SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley has responded to the same commercial property on three separate occasions. All three losses were identical involving the flushing of items down the toilet that should not be flushed. Because of these losses, I feel it is important to note what items that you should not flush down a toilet.
- Feminine products
- Baby wipes
- Adult and baby diapers
- Paper towels
- Cotton balls
- Dental floss
The above items can cause toilet pipes to get clogged resulting in toilet overflows. It is best to dispose of those items in your nearest trashcan. If you do happen to have a toilet overflow, don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley. We are available to handle even your worst toilet overflows 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days at year. Call us today at 503-652-3997. We will make it “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley Post Construction Cleaning
It’s well known that construction teams can leave behind a big mess of dust and debris after they complete a project. That is why SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley takes pride in doing post-construction clean up. We come in with our industry professionals, using our own supplies and specialty cleaning products, to get the job done right. Allowing SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley to handle the post-construction cleaning allows you to focus on your business rather than having to focus on the mess left behind.
If you are expecting a business remodel, give SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley a call at 503-974-6558. We will gladly come out and inspect your area, give you an estimate, and begin the work. After we leave, it’ll be “Like it never even happened.”
How to Walk on Ice
With the crazy weather we have had lately in the Clackamas, Oregon area, SERVPRO of Milwaukie/Happy Valley wants to leave you some tips on how to walk and travel on snow and ice safely.
- Plan Ahead
- Leave yourself some time to move slowly and safely when walking on ice and snow. Check the roads before driving to your destination to ensure that you can make it there without being a hazard to yourself and others
- Wear Shoes that Provide Traction
- Choose shoes that will be safe for walking in snow and ice. Footwear that is made from rubber has better traction than plastic or leather soles. Never wear heals when walking on ice or snow.
- Use Special Care when Entering/Exiting Vehicles and Buildings
- Going from indoors to outdoors during snow or ice can create fall hazards, that is why you should move slowly and use a handrail when possible. Don't walk with your hands in your pockets.
- Walking Safety
- You should bend over slightly to keep your center of gravity over your feet and take short steps for stability.
Water Damage Timeline
Do you know the timeline for water damage looks like?
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property and can saturate everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods start to spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.